Saturday, May 23, 2009

Chapter 5

This chapter is about Project Scope Management. This chapter requires me to understand the element that makes good project scope management important. Scope refers to all the work involved in creating the products of the project and the processes used to create them. A deliverable is a product produced as part of a project, such as hardware or software, planning documents, or meeting minutes. Project scope management includes the processes involved in defining and controlling what is or is not included in a project. There are 5 project scope management processes which are scope planning, scope definition, creating the WBS, scope verification and scope control. Scope planning is deciding how the scope will be defined, verified, and controlled. Key inputs include the project charter, preliminary scope statement, and project management plan. Scope definition is reviewing the project charter and preliminary scope statement and adding more information as requirements are developed and change requests are approved. As time progresses, the scope of a project should become more clear and specific. Creating the WBS is subdividing the major project deliverable into smaller, more manageable components. WBS is a foundation document that provides the basis for planning and managing project schedules, costs, resources, and changes. Scope verification is formalizing acceptance of the project scope. It is even more difficult to verify project scope and minimize scope changes. Scope control is controlling changes to project scope. The goals for it are to influence the factors that cause scope changes, assure changes and manage changes when they occur.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Firstly, let me introduce myself first. My name is Siti Aishah Binti Hassan. I am 2nd year student at International Islamic University of Malaysia (IIUM). My bachelor degree in ICT, majoring in Computer Science. I was born in Setiu, Terengganu but my hometown is at Kota Bharu, Kelantan. My father passed away in February 1999. Since that, I live with my uncle. He works as a Custom Officer. I have 4 siblings and I am the first one. I love my siblings very much. Some information about me, I'm just a simple girl with a simple life style. I am a person who is very positive about every aspect of life. I love being myself. In my life, there are many things I like to do, to see, and to experience. I would like to share a quote from Dr. Seuss with you. I like this quote- "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

Educational and Career Goals

I got early education until I finished secondary school in my hometown. After SPM, I apply for matriculation. I studied for foundation at CFS IIUM, Petaling Jaya for one and half years. Then, I further my study for degree at IIUM Gombak. I choose IIUM because I want study in Islamic surrounding. In IIUM, all students must taken Arabic language. Other than that, I want to prove my English. In IIUM we are only used two languages as the way of communication whether English or Arabic. Here, I’m not just writing in English but also must be speak the language in class. This is because, as an international university there are many students from different country in a class. The challenges that I faced as a student are like time management, communication and relationship with friends. Sometimes I don’t have enough time because every semester, KICT’s student have project for each course. In IIUM, there are international students come from other country that have different lifestyle and culture. At first, I have a little bit problems while trying to make friends with them. But now, so far I can handle it. In terms of academics, I achieved quite a satisfying result for every semester. For my future, I hope that I can grad with excellent results and my career opportunities in the field of ICT are not limited.

Reflections on the IT Project Management Class

First of all, special thanks to my lecturer Madam Masita Abdul Rahman for teaching this course (INFO 3501) in semester 3, 2008/2009. This course is a good introduction to IT project management and it helps me to understand basic aspect in managing projects. I have got many experience and lesson from this course. During the class session, I like when we need to do task in group. After that we need to present about our project. I like discussion and work in group because indirectly I can improve my communication skills. I also learned how to create document for a project. Personally, I am not only studied to manage the project but I can use it in my daily life so that I can manage my life better. In this course, it has lots of terms and theories that I have to know. Sometimes it makes me stress because I need to learn two chapters in a day. Another problem is about the time to complete the project. I have to follow so many rules and prepare much documentation for the project in short period of time. I have some suggestion to make this course more understandable. For contents, the words that used in text book is bit complicated for me and partially I can’t understand clearly. I just get detail explanations from my lecturer. Another suggestion in the future, lecturer gives chance to students to do real project even a small project. Through this way, I can get new experience and know the real challenges when I have worked after grad. If I have more time, I want try to remember all my classmate’s name. This is because, most of my classmates are 3rd year student. I also want to concentrate more in class so that I can get A in exam.